A great weekend in Torquay and a thrilling competition against 16 other bands placed Gosport Solent Brass on the top spot at the West of England Regional Contest of the National Brass Band Championships in the Third Section
After the band’s recent success and encouraging run-out at the ODBBA Oxford Winter Contest, where it achieved 2nd place, the band were in high spirits. As a newly promoted third section band, there was a desire to go out there and prove what the band can do, along with performing Holst’s First Suite in Eb in a way that did justice to Colin Garner’s great interpretation of the music.
GSB drew the unenviable first performance slot of the day but the lack of breakfast didn’t deter them, with 4barsrest commenting “Gosport Solent were excellent off the number 1 draw and have set a very solid and musical marker — flowing and noble all the way through with a great sop topping”.
Our performance remained the one to beat all day and the victory secured GSB a return visit to the National Finals at Cheltenham in September, where we will compete against the other winning Third Section bands from across the country.
Test Piece: First Suite in Eb (Gustav Holst)
Adjudicators: Dr Nick Grace & Alan Bourne
1. Gosport Solent Brass (Colin Garner)*
2. Poole Borough (Lloyd Bartlett)*
3. South Molton Town (Gil Taylor)*
4. Swindon Brass (Tim Crouter)
5. New Forest Brass (Ian Luxford)
6. Ocean Brass (Martin Humphries)
7. Pendeen Silver (Leonard Adams)
8. Porthleven Town (Tom Bassett)
9. Bath Spa (Martin Perry)
10. Bugle Silver (Steve Osborne)
11. Pillowell Silver (Ian Whitburn)
12. St Stythians (James Burns)
13. Gillingham Imperial Silver (James Bennett)
14. Bratton Silver (Simon Carr)
15. Verwood Town (Emma Button)
16. Swindon Pegasus (Danny Dullforce)
17. Indian Queens (Mark Arnold)
*Top three bands qualify for National Final